Palliative Medical DirectorApply Job ID 5549 Date posted 5/21/2020 Division Suncoast Hospice Position Type Full-Time Regular
Empath Health is currently seeking a Medical Director, Hospice to join our team. If you are compassionate, motivated and interested in making a positive impact in your community, you will find a rewarding career at Empath Health.
The Medical Director, Palliative Care Programs, is an employed physician who leads – in collaboration with the Palliative Care APRN Program Director– both the Community-Based and Inpatient Palliative Care Programs and oversees the medical care for patients in these growing programs.
Provides direction and guidance to the APRN Program Director to ensure optimal management of staff, the maintenance of quality care for patients and families, the maintenance of program certifications, and the optimization of productivity and revenues. Acts as the Collaborative Physician for team APRNs, signs off on all hospital visit notes, and oversees/manages cancer-related pain management prescribing in the community and in facilities.
Serves as the primary palliative care liaison between Empath Health and community physicians & entities, as well as others engaged in health services, to improve the quality of care provided to Empath Health patients and improve access for patients to palliative care consult services and, at the appropriate time, to hospice care.
Serves as an educator and researcher of palliative care and hospice.
About 75% of time will be spent providing direct medical care to patients in their homes, ALFs, SNFs, or hospitals.
As a nonprofit, integrated network of care, Empath Health supports anyone facing chronic or advanced illness. We help patients live as comfortably and meaningfully as possible and offer assistance to their families and caregivers along the way. No matter where someone is on their journey, our spectrum of medical and emotional support services provides compassionate care for each and every patient.
Suncoast Hospice, Empath Home Health, and Empath Health Pharmacy are proud to be accredited by the Joint Commission showing our commitment to quality.
Mission: Through every step of every journey, we offer compassion through extraordinary care, hope through innovative services and inspiration through endless encouragement.
Vision: To be the leader in life-changing health care.
• MD or DO from an accredited medical school.
• Additional Education: Masters or Doctoral degree (Ph. D.) or equivalent preferred.
• Experience: Minimum of five years post graduate medical practice experience, including direct practice involving palliative care [or fellowship training in palliative medicine and three years post graduate medical practice experience, including direct practice involving palliative care].
• Additional Experience in medical staff management and business development preferred.
• Licensure: Licensed to practice medicine in the State of Florida. DEA license required. (Must have Florida license prior to start date)
• Hospital Credentialing: Ability to secure privileges at regional hospitals.
• Certifications: CPR required.
• NPI provider and ability to bill CMS (Medicare & Medicaid) services or ability to obtain same.
• Board Certification by an American Board of Medical Specialties’ recognized specialty that deals with care of the terminally ill, such as Internal Medicine, Family Practice, Oncology or Geriatrics, and/or Board Certification by the American Board of Medical Specialties in Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
• Knowledge and experience in palliative medical practice and symptom management.
• Valid Florida driver’s license and automobile insurance as per agency policies.
• Ability to make home/residence visits.
• Basic keyboarding and computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word or comparable program.
• Must be (or become as expeditiously as possible) a member in good standing of the medical staffs of the accredited hospitals within the service area of Empath Health for which the Palliative Care Inpatient Program provides support.
Empath Health values diversity as it strengthens our community and care. We embrace the diversity of cultures, thoughts, beliefs and traditions of our employees, volunteers and people we are honored to serve across our network. Our diverse staff reflects our community and each day, we work to be respectful, sensitive and competent with each other and those in our care. In every journey, we are dedicated to achieving comfort, dignity and exceptional care. Those of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply with us or seek our care and services.
Our commitment to patient, client, staff and volunteer safety is a cornerstone of a High Reliability Organization with a focus on zero harm. Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Empath Health employees.
Drug & Tobacco Free Workplace.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.